or click here to download MS Word version of my resume.
Summary of Qualifications
- Proven leader with deep knowledge in the development of real world software solutions. Innovative problem solver using Java and Web technologies and relational databases. Effective mentor and dedicated teacher to developers overseas and in the USA.
- Professional software developer with more than 25 years experience.
- Master's in Computer Science from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, California.
- Accomplished iOS developer.
- Expert in relational database design and implementation.
- Experienced with Java technologies - J2EE, JSP, JDBC, JAXB, JMX, WebStart, Struts framework.
- Application servers - WebSphere, Tomcat, GlassFish.
- Version control systems - PVCS, CVS, SVN, Git.
- Operating systems - Windows; Unix - Solaris, Linux; Tandem/HP NonStop.
Owl and Elephant Mobile Design, 2012 to present
- Responsible for all aspects of technology and development
Laughlin Constable, Milwaukee, WI - 2011 to 2012
Senior Java Developer
- Design and development on new high end web site for national consumer product client.
- Design and development on new administrative program for national consumer product client.
- Troubleshoot web sites of national consumer product clients that typically receive upwards of 60,000 visits daily.
FIS, Milwaukee, WI - 1991 to 2011
Senior Technical Architect - DataNavigator's new web implementation
Consultant/Developer - AVS Monitor and Control application
- J2EE application, built on Struts framework communicating with existing DataNavigator mainframe application. Replaces and enhances the functionality of legacy Delphi fat client.
- Lead a distributed team of Web developers - designing new functionality, setting coding standards, reviewing code, planning/managing releases.
- Product, Support, Professional Services, i.e. both internal and external customers, come to me to lead them straight to the technical solutions/information they need.
- Create security systems to provide confidence in the application by implementing PA-DSS guidelines and following OWASP recommendations.
Architect/Technical Lead - Select Merchant system
- Developed a Java Swing User interface program providing real time
monitoring and control of newly replatformed AVS core application.
- Developed code in Java, using Visual Age for Java.
- Wrote JMX (Java Management eXtensions) code; documented and created a
class for teaching JMX to other developers.
- Wrote JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) code accessing Oracle database.
- Wrote Swing user interface code, then packaged for deployment using
WebStart (Sun's implementation of the Java Network Launch Protocol).
- Created Ant scripts for code deployment, including WebStart packaging.
- Deployed code to WebSphere environment.
- Wrote code to interface to SiteMinder for application security.
Consultant/Developer - SafeDebit project
- Client-Server credit card acquiring system on Tandem platform. System
consisted of a Visual Basic client communicating via RSC to Tandem COBOL
Pathway servers accessing a NonStop SQL database. Also included a set of batch
programs running within a TACL environment.
- Designed, created client Tandem infrastructure.
- Designed, tuned NonStop SQL database residing on the Tandem platform.
- Mentored American, Chinese and Indian developers over the life cycle of this
system. Taught developer classes at our Software Development Center in Chennai, India.
- Created documentation, business and program design, installation,
configuration, operations, programming standards, educational materials and
- Participated in the creation of PRAs (preliminary requirements assessment),
FRDs (Functional Requirements Definition), customer demonstrations, onsite
installations and acceptance testing.
Developer - Connex
- Project interfaced NYCE SafeDebit card from Internet merchant sites into
existing Connex Advantage Switch application, including a recurring
- Developed C code on the Tandem platform. Wrote main rules engine, email
interface and NonStop SQL access code.
- Wrote and maintained TAL code on Tandem platform for high volume, high
availability transaction switching application.
- Created multithreaded server in TAL to communicate and route exception
management transactions into Automated Network Adjustment Pathway system.
MPACT, Brookfield, WI - 1989 to 1991
Developer - SmartCASE tool designed for manufacturing software systems.
- Integrated SmartCASE with NonStop SQL environment and extended it to
define and generate NonStop SQL tables and programs to access those
- Wrote TACL code to control multiple development environments and to
create installation scripts.
Impell Pacific, San Luis Obispo, CA - 1986 to 1989
Team Lead - client/server system for Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant
Online Work Documents.
- Client program written in C, Tandem server application running under
Pathway accessing NonStop SQL database. Server programs and supporting
utilities written in TAL and COBOL. Client and server communicated via
NetBIOS protocols over Banyan LAN.
- Supervised PC and Tandem mainframe programmers in development of this
client/server application. Designed and developed application code on both
the client and server side.
United Technologies, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Santa Barbara County,
CA - 1984
Programmer - Developed monitor and control programs for hardware systems
for west coast Space Shuttle launches.
M.S. Computer Science, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 1985
B.A. History, Pennsylvania State University, 1973
B.S. Education, Pennsylvania State University, 1973
Association for Computing Machinery
Running, cycling, canoeing, travel